Saturday, August 13, 2005

saving for rainy days

Someone asked me why I still scrimp on some of my expenditures when I earn more than enough for my monthly needs.

Simple. I don't know how long I would be staying here. I can decide to fly back home in five years, two years or even next month. Or circumstances may come up that I would lose what I have. So better to get ready for the unexpected right?

And I still have financial goals for some investments and so on.

I have to admit my main extravagant expenditueres are my impulsive flights home. But I think I've compensated for those.

Anyways, take my friend. She has the motto that if you can afford it, why not? Her splurge sessions come more often than occasionally. So now that somethinghas come up, she has to save a bit more. If I were in her shoes I'd regret those past lesisurely expenditures. But nothing can be done anymore.

Just an anecdote to add. Yesterday, a former colleague (she's leaving for Bahrain) asked me if I was free for lunch, along with a couple other people in the office. She's already flying this weekend so I said, sure. She named a restaurant. I knew it was a bit pricey there. So we met her there. She ordered for all of us, an order which was more than enough. So of course I would assume she would pay. But when the bill came she split it into all four of us. I was silently outraged.

Now I should learn that I shouldn't take for granted that Singaporeans would be like Filipinos. I guess I should be glad Filipinos are a bit more generous than that.

Maybe I should take it easy a bit. But really, even if I watch what I spend, I still enjoy myself. It's just that people equate having fun with spending a lot.

Bot oh well, to each his or her own.

1 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey risha
si leandro ito... natawa ako dun ah... siya na nga nagyaya, siya pa nagorder tapos ipapahati niya ung bayad?! nlabo men!!!! may mas kuripot pa pala sa akin...

handsdown mas gracious naman ang Pinoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home